Between stuffing our faces with s’mores, a friend and I were having a fireside chat about various topics. At one point he asked about the challenges we face at the PRC.
“The hardest thing,” I replied, “is motivating the church to be engaged in its own battle.”
He didn’t quite understand this response, so I explained that if he were a lawyer and I served as his paralegal, it would be my job to do the research, interviews and briefs, but at the end of the day it would be his job to stand before the judge and present the case.
“It’s the same way with the church,” I continued. “As a Para church organization we do a lot of the leg work in the battle for life, but we work for the church. It’s the church who will have to give an account to the Judge for how well it presents the case for life in this community. Some churches understand this, but many of them don’t.”
Because abortion is first and foremost a spiritual issue the battle is the church’s. God has provided the PRC to help the church take its stand, not the other way around. My perspective is that the PRC is here for the church.
But the biggest challenge for us is persuading the church to become involved in an effective way. Many are content to let the PRC fight the fight for them.
The Pregnancy Resource Center exists to be a resource first for the church and then to the community as a whole. Together we must show a death-embracing culture that God’s love is real and that it applies to them, no matter how difficult their situation.
The PRC and the church of West Michigan must together live the truth that people matter to God.
-Jim Sprague
August 29, 2008
The Hardest Thing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment