In commemoration of Sanctity of Human Life Sunday, I was invited to speak at Calvary Baptist Church in Greenville this past January. I greatly enjoyed my time with the dear people of this church, and while I hope my message was both an encouragement and a challenge to them, they blessed me and the PRC beyond what I could have expected or imagined.
First, during the course of my message I mentioned a financial challenge we were facing and by the time I left that morning, an elder showed me an envelope of about $550 that these wonderful people had quietly gathered for us. But they weren’t done giving. At the evening service more people got involved and by the end of that meeting, this congregation of open hearts had pooled together more than $2600!
When the pastor, Mark Shaw, called me on Monday with the news, I was both surprised and thrilled at what was cheerfully given by this humble group of supporters.
“But, that’s not all, Jim,” Mark gleefully continued. “Michelle wants you to have her painting, too!”
The inspired artwork Pastor Shaw was referring to was created by Michelle, an 8th-grade girl in the Greenville Public Schools. In her art class, Michelle’s teacher gave the assignment to paint about something that she felt was not getting enough attention. This courageous 8th grader in the public school chose to paint about the abortion topic.
Below is a photograph of the watercolor she created. It depicts a woman, complete with baggage, who has discovered she is pregnant. In front of her are two paths: the one to the right is dark and barren. Along this road are markers of pain, guilt and death as it leads to the abortion clinic continuing past a graveyard until it ultimately reaches a dead end.
The road to the left is lush and green. It most immediately leads to the pregnancy center then it proceeds past the adoption home. Farther down the path is the church and ultimately Calvary’s hill.
But, perhaps the most inspirational aspect of this young woman’s work is the final path she wisely included. This one-way stretch branches off from the darker path at a marker tagged “Redemption’ and leads the travelers over to a place of faith and forgiveness.
I believe that Michelle has done an amazing job of capturing the pro-life message, while at the same time painting a wonderful representation of the gospel message.
Enjoy this; please leave your comments and I’ll pass them along to Michelle.
March 10, 2009
And a Child Shall Lead Them
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I am always amazed when young people recognize and use their gifts to glorify God. This is an awesome painting. It is relevant to those facing a decision as well as those who have already made a decision. Michelle, I am sure God will bless you for the stand you are taking.
Michelle displays an understanding beyond her years. What a blessing.
This is a most beautiful and insightful painting by a young girl with wisdom beyond her years.
Keep gloryifying God, Michelle, with His gift of painting.
God bless you,
What a thoughtful painting. I wish we were able to display something like this in centers all around the country. Keep up the good work, Michelle! God bless.
Post a Comment