Recently I was leaving an appointment in downtown Grand Rapids when I decided to stop at the prayer room located adjacent to the city’s abortion clinic. A lot of times I drive by while I shoot off a prayer, but on this day I knew that God wanted me to actually stop. I would soon find out why and have my heart broken.
On this day a downtown church had brought their staff to the prayer room for the very first time to pray, and I joined them. The sidewalk counselor, who encourages those going in and out of the clinic to consider a life choice, introduced us to a young woman who had an abortion just last week. She had arrived just before me and was there in total brokenness, grief and was now desperate for the sidewalk counselor’s help. Her pain was rooted in the fact that she and her boyfriend decided on the abortion because they are very involved at their suburban church and couldn’t imagine dealing with the fallout of their unwed pregnancy becoming public. “Too many people would be disappointed,” she said. And now she was in turmoil.
It was a privilege to be there to pray for this woman. As we prayed, however, I was deeply reminded how the issue of abortion is in the church (trust me, hers could be yours or mine). And it happens a lot more frequently than you might believe. We’ve heard stories over the years of daughters of pastors, elders and church staff all succumbing to abortion. It truly breaks my heart.
When we were done praying, I spoke about and referred her to the Pregnancy Resource Center’s post-abortion services. I gave her my card and the name of a PRC counselor. She said she would call us and I pray she does.
Please join me in praying for Kerri* and all of those in the church she represents.
Jim Sprague
*Name changed to protect her privacy.
July 17, 2008
When good people make bad decisions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment