April 19, 2010

Reserve Reverence for Humans

Throughout my tenure with the Pregnancy Resource Center I’ve not commented on the politics of defending human life. Instead, I stay focused on the work of an organization that lovingly serves women experiencing unplanned and crisis pregnancies. But when I read the article, Reverence for Life Sunday to Celebrate Pets (Grand Rapids Press; April 17, 2010), I was so completely and utterly offended that I had to respond.

The article announced Fountain Street Church’s annual animal-loving service, an event I feel is an affront to everyone who values the sanctity of human life. The article whimsically describes the many and unusual animals that are part of the service, as well as the organizations that will benefit from it.

My concern has nothing to do with the animals or the organizations that celebrate and protect them. But it is nothing short of sacrilege for a church to honor them above human beings. This is especially true for Fountain Street which has also established a “choice fund’ to pay for the abortion of human life from their own budget if a woman cannot afford one.

In the story Senior Minister Fred Wooden is quoted as saying the special service is designed to, “…remind ourselves that every living thing has value and meaning and purpose.” With all due respect, Mr. Wooden is very wrong to esteem animals’ lives over humans.

There is no question we must all respect and protect the animals, but human life is unique and it alone is to be revered.

You can read the article online by clicking here: http://www.mlive.com/living/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/04/fountain_street_church_host_re.html


In Christ,
Jim Sprague

No comments: